In The Community
Ribblesdale School has a very close relationship with its local community.
Partnerships within the community have been an important factor in the success of Ribblesdale over the years. Through our work as a school at the heart of our community, we’ve developed strong links with primary schools, colleges and training providers, as well as many local businesses. Where possible, we try to connect the curriculum and its delivery with local businesses and services so that pupils see the relevance of what they are being taught.
- Computer Science trip to The Printed Cup Company 21.02.17
- National Careers Week 6th – 10th March 2017 over 100+ speakers from 84 different organisations came in across all subject areas.
- Our ex-pupil Rebecca Hetherington and the team she has been working with in India came in. We taped a Q & A session about their achievements on their gap year and this will be shown in from groups once it has been edited.
- Our Future Your Event 20.06.17 informed local employers of the new GCSE grading and we demonstrated how we use technology in the classroom
- Business studies – visit to Cadbury World
- English – Burnley Football Club, UCFB came in, make –up artist came in
- Science week – Visit to 3M – Science week we had BAE, Lancashire Bees, Creepy Critters and Alston Observatory came in
- Textiles – making underwear for Syrian refugees with Raine & Bea Lingerie company in school
- Technology – Rotary Technology tournament sponsored by BAE
- History – Castle museum trip
- Humanities week – Worked with Nigel Evans and parliament to campaign for education in the 3rd world
- RE – Trip to Clitheroe mosque
- Geography – Trip to Tower Wood
- PE – Army Insight Course 8th – 12th May 9 pupils from Year 10 Nescliffe Camp, Shrewsbury
- Year 11 PHSE – Magistrates came in to talk about law and what they did, we had a workshop about apprenticeships from Lancs Work Based Forum
- Enrichment – pupils are our volunteering in Sainsburys, Oxfam, Castleford Care Home, Abbeyfield & Shelter
- Computer Science – Year 7 Digital Leaders working with Microsoft
- Work experience 2017 – (233 placements) another successful year (98% success rate), with pupils gaining part-time jobs, volunteering positions and possible apprenticeship offers as a direct result of their work experience. Raising awareness of their skills.
- Blackburn Youth Zone held a drop-in at lunchtime in Gusto 17.10.17 to promote the activities they offer for only 50p per session.
- Several colleges have held drop-in sessions in Gusto during lunchtimes
- Throughout the autumn term we have all our local providers coming in to school to give talks at form-time to interested pupils from Year 10 & 11. The talks give them a flavour of the provider and the courses that they offer.
- Media – trip to Craven College for media workshop 18.05.17
- Graphics – trip to Craven College for Graphics workshop 22.06.17
- Languages – Indira & Jara, two Spanish school girls came in to school 17.07.17. They have been experiencing what life is like in a British school, attending lessons in PE and English etc. They have been answering pupil questions in Spanish and discussing cultural aspects about Spain as well as the differences between school there and here.
- Languages – European Day of Languages assembly 27.09.17 Dr Birgit Smith from Lancaster University & Sarah Cutts Translation came in to an extended Year 9 assembly to talk about careers in languages. David Raya & Stefan Mols from Blackburn Rovers also came in to speak to pupils in Spanish about how speaking another language has helped them in their careers.